ITS (Roadside Systems) Delivery Manager
The Project Delivery Group is responsible for the delivery of new infrastructure projects in the North American market, major capital maintenance projects on existing US assets and support for the development of new projects.
The ITS (Roadside Systems) Delivery Manager is responsible for the successful and timely delivery of all roadside Tolling and ITS equipment and management of the interfaces necessary to ensure proper integration of the devices with the tolling back office and traffic management systems for various projects, including supporting the Development phase and the necessary preparation and planning for the Delivery phase.
The ITS Delivery Manager will direct and/or oversee the engineering and construction activities of the design-build contractor related to tolling and ITS roadside equipment to ensure that the works comply with the project technical and contract requirements and are suitable for the initiation of tolling operations at completion and collaborate extensively with the Company’s Technology Group to ensure the proper integration with all operating systems that utilize the roadside equipment.
The position requires technical expertise and strong project management skills, including the ability to effectively manage assigned projects independently.
Duties & Responsibilities
Design and Construction Management – Manage design and/or construction of tolling and ITS equipment and systems for new infrastructure or major maintenance projects.
- Manage the successful and timely delivery of Tolling and ITS roadside elements for various projects and necessary interfaces with the TTMS Contractor.
- Manage the design-builder’s design, installation, and commissioning of roadside tolling and ITS equipment and devices, including the following activities:
- Development and/or approval of system engineering plans and performance specifications.
o Design and constructability reviews.
o Design, installation and testing schedules.
o Design and field changes,
o Approval of test verification and validation plans.
o Oversight of field installations, including necessary interface s with the respective operational subsystem software.
o Coordination with the testing procedures, schedule and documentation requirements.
- Development and/or approval of system engineering plans and performance specifications.
- Manage and/or participate in required subsystem testing and commissioning activities for roadside equipment.
- Manage interfaces between the design-build contractor and the TTMS Contractor) to ensure proper and timely integration of tolling and ITS roadside equipment with the Company’s back office and traffic management systems.
- Promote innovative design solutions and construction methods to reduce capital and operational costs.
- Contribute to the development, documentation and maintenance of systems architecture, systems configuration management, and systems integration plans for assigned projects.
- Coordinate with the TTMS Contractor to review test plans, test procedures and test execution between the field elements and the Operations Center.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Company’s Technology Group to develop functional and performance specifications for tolling and ITS systems, equipment, and devices.
- Manage Transurban, contractor, and consultant resources as necessary to meet workload and schedule demands.
- Provide direction, guidance or instructions necessary to advance the design and construction of assigned projects.
- Coordinate and schedule work as necessary to achieve successful delivery of assigned projects.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable technical requirements and Transurban standards for assigned projects.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports to the Project Director, Head of Delivery and other senior managers on the progress and status of assigned projects.
- Review and approve contract submittals and deliverables for assigned projects.
- Review and approval of design and field change documents.
- Ensure compliance with Transurban and contract QA/QC requirements for assigned projects.
- Review and monitor contractor’s safety programs and performance for assigned projects.
- Review and provide input to as-built documentation, maintenance manuals and operational procedures for assigned projects.
- Prepare handover documents necessary to support long-term O&M activities at the completion of each assigned project and manage transition of responsibility for completed works to the Operations Team.
Project Management – Manage assigned projects in accordance with Transurban policies and procedures and industry best practices.
- Adopt and implement the Transurban Project Delivery System on assigned projects. Support development of continuous improvements to the Transurban delivery model.
- Comply with approved project management policies, procedures, instructions, and reporting requirements.
- Manage assigned projects to budget and schedule. Support regular financial reviews and forecasting.
- Understand and apply Transurban safety and quality management principles to all assigned projects.
- Provide timely and accurate reports to management on project progress, issues, costs and risks.
- Maintain project records and documents using company-adopted procedures and tools. Ensure working and record documents for assigned projects are properly stored and organized in a controlled document management system.
- Ensure project risks are identified and appropriate risk mitigation strategies put into place and monitored. Comply with Transurban risk management policies and procedures.
- Contribute to and participate in resource planning and development meetings.
- Provide regular feedback to team members.
- Support workplace flexibility, inclusions and diversity initiatives in accordance with Transurban policies.
Contract Management – Effectively and proactively manage contracts for assigned projects.
- Manage and administer design and/or construction contracts for new infrastructure or major maintenance projects.
- Assist in preparation of contract documents, including: Statements of Work, Specifications, and Technical Requirements.
- Support negotiation of new contract or commercial agreements and any required changes.
- Monitor compliance with contract terms and report on contractor performance.
- Ensure proper review and processing of contractor invoices and payments for assigned projects.
Stakeholder Coordination – Maintain and build excellent working relationships with team members, partners, and key stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Communicate and coordinate with internal and external stakeholders as required to ensure that assigned projects are successfully delivered.
- Use appropriate methods to enhance working relationships, improve collaboration, and resolve conflict with internal and external partners.
Development Support – Provide technical and project delivery expertise to support the development of major new projects or acquisitions.
- Provide expertise and timely inputs on civil design and construction solutions for bids and proposals on new infrastructure projects or acquisitions.
- Support development of functional and performance requirement or specifications for new infrastructure projects or acquisitions.
- Support preparation of preliminary designs, alternative technical concept proposals, and solicitation documents for competitively-procured projects or acquisitions.
- Coordinate and collaborate with partners and other team members on the pursuit of new infrastructure projects or acquisitions.
- Develop operational and design concepts for new ITS, tolling, enforcement and traffic management systems.
- Support Selection of appropriate ITS, TMS and ETC technologies for implementation on US projects.
Education & Experience Requirement
- B.S. or Master’s degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, Mechanical) or related field and relevant industry experience. Post-graduate qualifications highly regarded.
- 10 + years professional experience in transportation-related engineering or operations.
- Applicable engineering license or professional registration preferred.
- Project management and project development knowledge and experience.
- Proven experience in delivery of civil infrastructure projects.
- Experience in Tolling and Traffic Management Systems design, installation and testing.
- Knowledge of or Knowledge of relevant safety, environment, risk and quality control systems.
- Knowledge of and experience with VDOT Technical Requirements and procedures.
- Ability to negotiate and administer civil design and/or construction contracts and consultant service agreements, including change management.
- Strong technical and practical skills with the ability to translate design and quality documents into proper field activities.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Ability to present with confidence and command respect from internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance/Quality Control principles and proven experience in Quality Management.
Candidates meeting the positions qualifications should apply online at www.transurban.com under the Careers at Transurban/Career Opportunities section (or here for the direct link – http://goo.gl/i6HTlq)