The Project Delivery Group is responsible for the delivery of new infrastructure projects in the North American market, major capital maintenance projects on existing US assets and support for the development of new projects.
The Project Director is responsible for the successful and timely delivery of various projects, including the technical, contract and project management activities necessary to achieve success. The Project Director is responsible for all aspects of the project delivery including financial performance, contract and legal administration, risk identification and management, technical compliance, liaison and reporting internally to Transurban stakeholders, and the management of commercial contractual relationships with the State and primary contractors. A critical aspect of the role is the development and maintenance of strong relationships with VDOT, and other stakeholders.
The incumbent will demonstrate a proven ability to lead and direct project staff and manage external stakeholders, contractors and consultants to ensure work is prioritized and delivered on time to appropriate quality and safety standards with minimal impacts on existing assets and operations. Assigned projects will be managed in accordance with the Transurban Project Delivery System. The Project Director may be assigned to perform these responsibilities on behalf of a Transurban-sponsored Concessionaire or other business entity.
The incumbent will lead the project team and will work with other members of the North American Delivery team, as well as managers and staff from across the business (including those based in Australia) to meet commitments and ensure successful outcomes for Transurban USA. The ability to adapt to changing priorities and flexibility to work on multiple assignments simultaneously is essential.
Design and Construction Management – Manage design and/or construction of new infrastructure or major maintenance projects.
- Manage delivery of various Express Lanes projects from inception through contract close-out for Transurban or other designated business entities.
- Establish and lead the project team (which may include Transurban, contractor, and consultant resources) necessary to meet workload and schedule demands.
- Ensure design and/or construction contracts are scoped, awarded, and effectively managed to achieve desired outcomes and schedules. Engage internal stakeholders to ensure that operations and maintenance requirements are included and delivered.
- Manage contractor(s) on assigned projects to meet or exceed agreed performance and project outcomes.
- Provide direction, guidance or instructions necessary to advance the design or construction of assigned projects.
- Coordinate and schedule work among project teams and other Transurban business units necessary to achieve successful delivery of assigned projects.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable technical requirements and Transurban standards for assigned projects.
- Ensure compliance with Transurban and contract QA/QC requirements for assigned projects.
- Ensure Transurban safety standards and policies are incorporated and actively monitor contractor’s safety programs and performance.
- Review and approve contract submittals and deliverables for assigned projects.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports to the Head of Delivery, senior managers, and/or governance bodies on the progress and performance of assigned projects.
- Ensure protection of existing assets and minimize impacts to existing business operations and reputation.
- Ensure development and handover of technical documentation necessary to support long-term O&M of delivered assets or projects and seamless transition of responsibility for completed works to the Operations Team.
- Ensure compliance with Transurban and contractor environmental management policies, project approval obligations, and monitoring and reporting requirements.
- Promote innovation in design solutions and construction methods to optimize capital and operation costs.
Project Management – Manage assigned projects in accordance with Transurban policies and procedures and industry best practices.
- Adopt and implement the Transurban Project Delivery System on assigned projects. Support development of continuous improvements to the Transurban delivery model and comply with approved project management policies, procedures, instructions, and reporting requirements.
- As required, serve as Concessionaire’s authorized representative on new infrastructure projects. Manage the Concessionaire’s interests through the design-build phase and ensure readiness to commence operations.
- Develop (or support development of) overall delivery program budgets for new infrastructure or major maintenance projects.
- Manage assigned projects to budget and schedule. Support regular financial reviews and forecasting.
- Develop strategies or approaches necessary for the effective delivery of assigned projects. Ensure accurate and detailed project schedules are developed and maintained.
- Understand and apply Transurban safety and quality management principles to all assigned projects.
- Ensure project risks are identified and appropriate risk mitigation strategies put into place and monitored. Comply with Transurban risk management policies and procedures.
- Ensure effective communication and reporting systems are established and maintained for assigned projects. Provide accurate and complete reports within agreed timeframes.
- Provide timely and accurate reports to management on project progress, issues, costs and risks.
- Oversee establishment and implementation of Document Control Systems necessary to ensure working and record documents for assigned projects are properly organized and controlled.
- Review completed projects for improvement opportunities in the delivery process. Encourage innovation and facilitate the implementation and acceptance of these changes.
Contract Management – Effectively and proactively manage contracts for assigned projects.
- Manage and administer high value and complex design and/or construction contracts for new infrastructure or major maintenance projects.
- As required, manage the delivery portion of any Concession Agreements and associated design and/or construction contracts. Seek opportunities to maximize the potential benefits for Transurban in the execution of these agreements.
- Control costs through the implementation of optimal management structures and activities.
- Prepare or review and approve contract documents, including: Statements of Work, Specifications, and Technical Requirements.
- Negotiate (or support negotiation of) new contracts or commercial agreements and any required changes.
- Manage technical and commercial aspects of contracts for assigned projects, including compliance with contract terms, regular monitoring and reporting of contractor performance, and change management.
- Ensure proper review and processing of contractor invoices and payments for assigned projects.
Stakeholder Coordination – Maintain and build excellent working relationships with team members, partners, and key stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and leverage a positive working relationships with key government stakeholders (e.g., VDOT, FHWA, etc.) to foster long-term collaboration and promote new project opportunities.
- Communicate and coordinate with internal and external stakeholders as required to ensure that assigned projects are successfully delivered.
- Identify and support management of community issues on assigned projects to minimize unnecessary risks to project schedule and budget.
- Use appropriate methods to enhance working relationships, improve collaboration, and resolve conflict with internal and external partners.
- Assist in the senior level marketing to promote Express Lanes projects and build a strong Transurban brand.
Development Support – Provide technical and project delivery expertise to support the development of major new projects or acquisitions.
- Provide technical expertise and strategic advice on major new infrastructure project development opportunities.
- Support the development of delivery procurement models, as required.
- Ensure stakeholder requirement are fully understood and incorporated into development initiative and proposals.
- Support development of business cases and determination of appropriate delivery methods.
- Lead technical teams responsible for preliminary designs, alternative technical concept proposals, and solicitation (RFQ/RFP) responses for competitively-procured infrastructure projects or strategic acquisitions.
- Identify delivery risks and recommend mitigation measures.
- Coordinate and collaborate with partners and other team members on the pursuit of new infrastructure projects or acquisitions.
- Manage technical studies and investigations that are required to support the delivery phase.
- Undertake early and detailed planning to support the seamless transfer of project responsibilities from development to delivery.
Leadership and People Management – Guide and inspire teams on assigned projects to perform at the highest levels.
- Lead by example; provide project teams with the tools and training necessary to achieve positive and successful outcomes.
- Mentor, coach, influence, and guide and direct the performance of team members towards the achievement of project goals.
- Engage proactively on assigned projects and establish clear lines of responsibility and authority.
- Establish, maintain and continuously improve the safety culture and ensure work is carried out in accordance with Transurban safety policies and procedures.
- Provide regular feedback to team members.
- Support implementation of workplace flexibility, inclusions and diversity initiatives in accordance with Transurban policies.
To be successful in this role you will need to display the following skills and attributes:
- College degree in Civil Engineering and relevant industry experience. Post graduate qualifications highly regarded.
- Minimum of 15 years’ professional experience in transportation-related engineering or operations.
- Applicable engineering license or professional registration preferred.
- Engineering management and detailed design development experience.
- Demonstrated project management skills and experience with the successful delivery of critical and complex civil infrastructure projects.
- Experience directly managing design-build contractor(s) on major civil or infrastructure projects.
- Contract management experience, in particular the ability to resolve disputes, effectively manage changes and negotiate commercial agreements.
- Knowledge of or experience in Tolling and Traffic Management Systems delivery.
- Ability to function effectively in a matrix environment and provide delivery-related support across the business.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Politically savvy and able to command respect and confidence.
- Effective communication, presentation and reporting skills.
- Experience and established relationships in the North American market.
- Ability and willingness to promote Transurban business strategy and initiatives.
Candidates meeting the positions qualifications should apply online at www.transurban.com under the Careers at Transurban/Career Opportunities section.
Transurban (USA) Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer EOE AA Male/Female, Veterans/Disabled, offering competitive salaries and generous benefits. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Transurban (USA) Inc., please call 571-419-6100 or email email@example.com.