Kansas Turnpike Authority
Director of Finance/CFO Full-Time
Department: Financial Services
Salary Range: $115,000 – $155,000 /yr
Posted: Sep 4, 2020
Definition and Examples of Work
- Directs the preparation of all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, reports to stakeholders, tax returns, and reports for government regulatory agencies.
- Oversees accounting department, budget preparation, and audit functions. Meets regularly with the executive team, leadership team and other managers to keep informed and to offer direction.
- Serves as the (Board) Secretary of the Kansas Turnpike Authority.
- Directs strategic planning processes related to the long-term needs study, cash flow management, and toll rate planning.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local laws, organizational policies, procedures, and business rules, and budgets.
- Establishes internal controls procedures and ensures adherence to controls through regular audit and review of processes and procedures.
- Supervises investment of funds and manages bonds and bond rating; works with banks to raise additional capital as required.
- Directs accounting functions of the KTA, including capital assets, inventory, accounts receivable, accounts payable, project accounting and cost accounting.
- Directs financial reporting for the KTA and as a component unit of the State of Kansas, including the CAFR, and required board, internal and external reporting.
- Manages the annual external audit.
- Directs software administration within JD Edwards for finance and procurement functions; collaborates with Human Resources regarding payroll and human capital management integration.
- Manages KTA procurement functions and finance contracts; negotiates KTA insurance and procurement contracts.
- Collaborates with Human Resources to manage and negotiate employee benefits insurance renewals.
- Provides external oversight of long-range economic trends, Kansas legislative research and Kansas post audit, and transportation and tolling trends to assess impacts to the KTA.
- Maintains effective relationships and partnerships related to tolling and transportation including IBTTA, interoperability partners, KDOT, stakeholders, vendors and consultants.
- Estimates requirements for capital, land, buildings, and work force changes.
- Responsible for development of department staffing including hiring, training, coaching and development, performance management, and corrective feedback processes.
- Additional duties may be assigned as business needs require.
Latitude and Impact of Position
This position works independently and as part of a team, including providing input and problem solving with others to complete tasks. The position delegates to others, provides coaching and training in an informal manner, and is responsible for providing performance feedback. Participates in short-term and long-term planning. Decision making is typically done independently in regard to decisions affecting the individual/department work tasks/policy. Makes decisions involving hiring, firing, promotion and all other status changes along with compensation. Purchasing decisions may be made involving commitments up to $25,000. Successful completion of job tasks has significant impact to operating costs, company liability, management decisions, internal system, processes and procedures, policies, and external company image/liability.
The work environment described here is representative of the general work environment for the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily works in office environment while using computers and related peripherals and other office equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of general accounting and finance principles
- Extensive knowledge of financial management and business principles, office procedures, practices, policies
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem solving ability
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to coach and provide guidance to employees.
- Ability to effectively interact with other departments to help achieve departmental and KTA goals.
- Proficient with computer use and Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Knowledge of database and accounting system applications
- Ability to use computers, phones and related office equipment such as copiers and scanners
- Strong attention to detail
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of JD Edwards software
- Knowledge of tolling and/or transportation industries
- Understanding of governmental accounting standards (GASB)
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, public/business administration or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Minimum five years of accounting and financial management experience, with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning and management of employees; minimum ten years of accounting and financial experience total.
- Master’s in accounting, finance or business administration, preferred
- Experience with financial statement preparation, auditing standards, procurement processes, bonds and debt management
- Governmental experience preferred
Certification, License, Registration
- CPA, preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time (continuous)
- Occasional standing/walking
- Must be able to hear others and communicate (continuous)
- Use of hands to touch, handle or feel (continuous)
- Must be able to visualize computer screen (continuous) and see up close and at a distance (frequently)
- Occasional travel
- Frequent work beyond regular business hours to meet business requirements