September 25, 2017 — The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has announced that five of its 17 Starbucks, located inside service plazas along the 552-mile turnpike, are closing briefly for remodeling. This series of renovations began this month and will be completed by mid-October as part of ongoing upgrades.
During the remodel, each Starbucks location will be closed that Sunday at 10 p.m. and will reopen Wednesday at 4 a.m. HMSHost Corp., based out of Bethesda, Md., operates all 17 service plazas along the PA Turnpike and is responsible for the renovations.
Starbucks locations slated to close for renovations as follows:
Blue Mountain Service Plaza (westbound at milepost 202.5)
From 10 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 17 to Wednesday, Sept. 20 at 4 a.m.
Bowmansville Service Plaza (eastbound at milepost 289.9)
From 10 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 24 to Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 4 a.m.
South Somerset Service Plaza (eastbound at milepost 112.3)
From 10 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 1 to Wednesday, Oct. 4 at 4 a.m.
Lawn Service Plaza (westbound at milepost 258.8)
From 10 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 8 to Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 4 a.m.
Cumberland Valley Service Plaza (eastbound at milepost 219.1)
From 10 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 15 to Wednesday, Oct. 18 at 4 a.m.
Starbucks is well known for their premium beverages, including coffee and espresso drinks, tea and coffee alternatives. Starbucks also features ready-to-drink beverages and pre-made bakery items and sandwiches, as well as heated breakfast sandwiches and wraps.
Customers can download a free Service Plaza reference booklet from the Turnpike website at https://www.paturnpike.com/travel/service_plazas.aspx
Motorists should also be aware that the PA Turnpike is in the process of decommissioning and removing all call boxes from the roadway due to a significant decline in use over recent years. Modern means like smart phones, make it safer for our motorists to communicate incidents safely from inside their vehicle. To report an accident or other emergencies on the PA Turnpike, stay in your car and dial *11 on your mobile phone.
To learn more about PA Turnpike conditions or to contact us, use one of these resources:
ON THE PA TURNPIKE
- Variable & Digital Message Signs — nearly 100 signs along the Turnpike
- Highway Advisory Radio — 1640 AM (tune-in near interchanges)
- Turnpike Roadway Information Program (toll-free) — 866-976-TRIP (8747)
- Customer Assistance Center (toll-free) — 800-331-3414 (weekdays, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
ON THE WEB
- TRIPTalk — free, travel-alert smartphone app; download at https://www.paturnpike.com/travel/trip_talk.aspx
- Travel Conditions Map — live, interactive conditions map; view at https://www.paturnpike.com/webmap
- Waze — a crowd-sourced navigation app that provides real-time traffic conditions with input from other drivers; download at https://www.waze.com
# # #
Contact: Rosanne Placey