Kapsch TrafficCom is seeking a Traffic Dispatcher for our center in Syracuse, NY. The Traffic Dispatcher will monitor all active traffic events that occur during the shift and ensure that the information is entered correctly into systems and provide traffic related messages to drivers.
In this role, the Traffic Dispatcher will proactively seek out and provide appropriate responses to traffic issues. Job responsibilities include:
- Creation and posting of messages for the Variable Message Signs (VMS)
- Composing and posting information on the 511 traveler information system
- Assessing traffic status, special events, scheduled events, active events, and incident fault status by utilizing CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) cameras, Service Patrol reports, State Police reports, internal systems, etc.
- Communicating with emergency services such as state and local police, emergency communications centers, highway helpers, maintenance departments, and media outlets
- Facilitating incident management which includes: detection, verification, response, notification
- Activating various message signs and incident reporting
- Entering related data into Access Database
- Troubleshooting and resolving system related problems
- Coordinating with other operations staff with regards to various agencies and general control room coordination especially at shift change
- Assisting with the data collection for various reports, travel speed and travel time reports, incident reports, field equipment failures, and any other reports that are provided by the Traffic Operations Center.
Qualified candidates will possess a High School Diploma or other educational certification. Candidates should have basic computer proficiency, the ability to assess a situation rapidly and act decisively, and the ability to actively listen and verify incident details.
Candidates with at least a year of experience dispatching police, fire, other emergency personnel or freight are preferred. Experience in a call center environment can also be considered. An understanding of the Syracuse geography as well as the regional Interstate and Highway system is a plus.
Experience with GIS (Geographic Information Systems) is desirable.
Candidates should be aware that the Traffic Dispatcher position supports a 24/7, 365 operation and involves shift work and combines weekday and weekends.
Compensation for this role is $ 12.50 an hour.