Follow this link to view the formal position brochure: https://www.affionpublic.com/positions/executive-director—-aurora-co
About E-470 Public Highway Authority
E-470 is a nonstop, cashless, all-electronic toll highway that does not use any local, state, or federal tax funding to operate, maintain or improve the road. The 75-mph tollway forms a 47-mile semi-circular beltway around the eastern perimeter of the Denver metropolitan area. The E-470 Public Highway Authority is a political subdivision of the State of Colorado. E-470 also operates ExpressToll, a one-stop toll shop, offering customer service and toll collection services for all tolling facilities in Colorado.
In 1987, the Public Highway Authority Act was passed by the Colorado State Legislature, giving the E-470 Public Highway Authority the power to do everything needed to plan, design, finance, construct, and operate the toll highway. E-470 is operated by the Authority and financed without state or federal funding or taxes. E-470 relies primarily on toll revenues, investment income, and other non-toll revenues.
The first segment of the highway opened on June 1, 1991 and the final segment was opened on January 3, 2003.
Board of Directors
The E-470’s Board of Directors consists of eight voting member jurisdictions: Adams, Arapahoe and Douglas counties and the municipalities of Aurora, Brighton, Commerce City, Thornton and Parker. Affiliate, non-voting members include Arvada, Greeley and Lone Tree, City and County of Broomfield and Weld County. Ex-officio members of the board are Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG) and the Regional Transportation District (RTD).
Each of the jurisdictions/agencies selects its own appointee and alternate to serve on the board of directors. Appointments are made annually. The Board votes for board officers at the first meeting of the board each year.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of all activities of the E-470 Public Highway Authority and works closely with Legislators, Government Agencies, local elected officials, tolling services partners, economic development entities, and the Department of Transportation. This position reports directly to the Board of Directors and formulates or recommends all actions needing to be taken by the Board.
Important areas of experience for the Authority’s Executive Director are project and public finance, toll operations management, organizational management, organizational project enterprise management, business and governmental law, engineering, maintenance and construction management, inter-governmental relations, and political and public relations. An outline of the Executive Director’s duties are as follows:
Board of Directors Relations
- Responsible for overall leadership activities of the Authority, including execution on both short- and long-term plans.
- Formulation of all recommended policies to accomplish the directives of the Board of Directors and needs of E-470.
- Implementation and execution of all policies and procedures adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Informing the Board of Directors of all issues that may affect the Authority and stand as primary point of interaction between the Board and staff, consultants and the media.
- Facilitate Board communication and collaboration in the fulfillment of the Authority’s Vision, Mission, Strategic and Master Plans.
- Responsible for, working in conjunction with the HR Manager and Directors, overseeing all management and personnel decisions of the Authority.
- Review, monitor and compare results to all stated objectives and goals of the Authority, taking the necessary steps to correct unsatisfactory conditions or outcomes.
- Management of the executive staff of the Authority, assisting them when necessary to ensure consistent operations, project execution, master plan, strategic plan and work plan goals are fulfilled.
- Maintain open communication, develop and build executive teams to reach stated goals set for the organization.
- Select, evaluate, and motivate executive staff. Work with the executive staff to set the organizational structure for the Authority that delivers on set strategic and work plan objectives.
- Working with the Finance Director and Board, oversee the formulation and ensure compliance with annual budgets and bond covenants.
- Working with the Finance Director and Board, oversee all financial commitments and cash-flows of the Authority.
- Working with the Executive Committee and executive staff, oversee the activities of the legal counsel of the Authority.
- Working with the Board Chair, coordinate and facility discussions and direction given by the Executive Committee and other Board Committees. This work is done to ensure sufficient communication and coordination of activities of the Committees to keep the Board well informed of authority activities and related goals and items requiring action of the Board.
- Develop and execute plans for innovative approaches to increasing the Authority’s non-toll generation of net revenues.
- Working with the Toll Operations Director, coordinate services provided and related agreements for tolling services provided other tolling entities in Colorado and beyond.
- Represents the E-470 Public Highway Authority to elected officials, state and federal agencies, local governments, member jurisdictions, professional organizations, local and civic organizations, economic development entities, industry professional groups, and the public.
- Coordinates all lobbying activities at the state and federal levels and provides needed information and testimony related to activities of the Authority.
- Manages all governmental relations.
- Working with the PIO serves as a key media spokesperson for the Authority.
- Represents the Authority at IBTTA and other transportation related industry functions and meetings.
Education and Experience
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Engineering, or a closely related field. A minimum of seven (7) years operational experience in managing and directing a complex organization and a minimum of seven (7) years executive level leadership and management is required.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of success with knowledge and experience in transportation, information technology, and project management; tolling experience is highly preferred. Fiscal experience to include budget development and management is essential for this position.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who sets a positive example of competence, professionalism, energy and work ethic to the organization and community. This is a key position within the Authority, and it is essential for the successful candidate to work closely with Legislators, Government Agencies, Toll Service Partners, and the Department of Transportation. Effective communication along with strong collaboration and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful; advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative.
It is essential for the Executive Director to work closely with the Authority in carrying out initiatives and setting the tone and vision for the staff. The successful candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and must have the capacity and interest to be an effective mentor and supportive leader for staff.
The E-470 Public Highway Authority is offering a competitive salary range between $240,000 – $280,000 commensurate with experience along with a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will be available for the successful out of area candidate.
Duties will be primarily performed in person at the Authority Headquarter building located at 22470 E. Stephen D. Hogan Parkway, Suite 100 Aurora, CO 80018. Relocation assistance will be available for a successful out of area candidate.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
**The deadline to receive resumes is December 06, 2021**
The E-470 Public Highway Authority is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.